How Much Bankroll Do You Need to Play Poker for a Living?
The size of your bankroll depends on the type of poker game you’re playing. For example, if you’re playing live poker, 100 buy-ins is a good bankroll to have. However, if you’re playing online poker, you’ll need a bigger bankroll.
The bankroll will also differ if you’re playing a poker tournament. Discover how to boost your poker bankroll with bonuses and play the game for longer. We also have helpful tips on how to manage your bankroll when you are playing poker online.
How Big a Bankroll Do You Need to Play Poker
When you are playing cash games, you will need between 50 and 100 buy-ins. If the bet sizes are $50, you’ll need to pay between $2500 and $5000. However, when you’re playing online, you will need to raise the amount because online games tend to be fast.
On the other hand, if you’re playing a poker tournament, you need at least 100 to 200 buy-ins. Tournaments tend to have dry spells in terms of winning, which means you’ll need a steady casino account to survive those spells.
How to Calculate Bankroll
The first step to calculating your bankroll is thinking about the money you usually make. Then be realistic about how much your potential earnings will be. Here are things that you need to think about:
- Think about your monthly expenditure.
- Then think about your potential earnings.
- Look at the money you have in your reserves.
Managing Your Funds in Poker
Many players tend to use up their funds very quickly; even professional players are not exempt from this. The best thing to do is look out for bad sessions and ensure you have enough funds to get through them. When you’re playing online, you need to have a lot more disciple than when you’re playing at a land-based casino. Here are five tips for managing your casino account:
- Make sure your funds can withstand bad sessions.
- Use at least 5% of your funds every time you play.
- Build your poker bankroll slowly.
- Once you have checked your bankroll, don’t obsess over it. Focus more on your gameplay than how much you have in your casino account.
- Play poker seriously when you are doing it for real money. At the same time, you shouldn’t obsess over the money in your account. You need to make sure you take every move you make seriously.