Macau Closures Could Extend Over Estimated Two-week Period

Reviewer Paul Jacobs
Reviewed By Paul Jacobs Casino Expert

The Macau closures could take more than the estimated two weeks, says Las Vegas president Rob Goldstein. Macau casino closed down to protect the Special Administrative Region (SAR) citizens as well as the gaming employees against the coronavirus. However, Goldstein believes that the expected two-week closure may just be extended. Rob Goldstein was at the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) meeting when he made his comments about the shutdown.

Goldstein appeared before the board for a hearing about the licensing suitability. However, he went further and spoke about the coronavirus challenge in Macau. He stated that the closure could extend to two months. Macau Chief Executive, Ho Lat Seng, told the media earlier this week that the Macau casinos would close down following ten coronavirus cases in the region. The number of people affected by the coronavirus remains at 10 in Macau. However, there are almost 25,000 cases in the world. Macau visitors have been advised to avoid the area until the situation has been contained.

Macau Closures Extended

Macau Closures Affect Gaming Revenue

Since the Macau closures have come into effect, visitors have not been frequenting the region. The gaming profits are  decreasing. The January reports show a decrease of 11.3% in the peninsula. The analysts have projected a 75% drop this year.

Analysts from JPMorgan projected a 75% drop in SAR’s gaming revenue for February. The analysts also expected a 6% decline for the year. As the virus has worsened, casino operators and executives are yet to offer estimates of the revenue. However, there may not be a need to provide those estimates because everyone is expecting the numbers to be awful.

Overview

The coronavirus has been dubbed the “Wuhan Virus” because the city was ground zero for the breakout. This virus is a strain that has not been detected before. Research has said that it is similar to SARS and the MERS syndrome. It also contains some strains of the common cold.

See More Casino News:

Read today's breaking stories

Atlantic City Casino Revenue
News Aug 21, 2026

Atlantic City Casino Revenue Hits $304 Million in July 2026

Alex Harper Alex Harper • 10 min read
Thunder Valley Casino Stabbing
News Aug 21, 2026

Thunder Valley Casino Stabbing: 5 Workers Injured

Alex Harper Alex Harper • 10 min read
How to Read Sports Betting Odds
News Aug 21, 2026

How to Read Sports Betting Odds

Lara Johns Lara Johns • 10 min read
Lara Johns

Lara Johns

Lara Johnson is a seasoned casino reviewer at CasinoUS.com with over ten years of experience in the online gambling industry. She’s known for her detailed, easy-to-understand reviews that help players find the best casinos. Lara covers everything from game variety to customer service, ensuring players have all the info they need. Passionate about responsible gambling, she also writes guides to help players stay safe. Lara’s dedication makes her a trusted voice in the industry.

Editorial Statement: Casino US is your trusted source for timely industry updates, in-depth analysis, and honest operator reviews. Our editorial team brings years of specialized gaming industry knowledge to every story, holding ourselves to strict standards of accuracy and objectivity. We're dedicated to providing straightforward, unbiased, and reliable reporting on the US gambling landscape and beyond.