Online poker is a classic skill-based card game enjoyed by many gamblers, from New Jersey to Delaware. Players attempt to have a higher value combination of cards in their hand at the end of the game. Each game begins with a round of betting.
Poker is all about strategy, skill, and a little bit of luck. Whether you are just starting out or are an online poker veteran, our 2020 guide to online poker is a must-read. So join one of the best USA online casinos listed below and dive into poker and you could win real money today!
BEST ONLINE POKER CASINOS 2020
|Betting Site||Welcome Bonus||Payout||Rating||Visit Site|
|Play Irish Luck Casino|
|Best USA Online Casino For November 2020|
|Play Prism Casino|
|One of the Best Online Casinos in the USA|
|Play Old Havana Casino|
|Top User-friendly USA Online Casino Site!|
|Play Lucky Hippo Casino|
|Best USA Online Slots For May 2020|
|Play High Country Casino|
|Top User-friendly USA Online Casino Site!|
|Play Bovegas Casino|
|Top User-friendly USA Online Casino Site!|
|Play Slots Of Vegas Casino|
|Top Rated Online Casino USA|
|Play Sun Palace Casino|
|Top Online Casino USA for Top Slots|
|Play Las Vegas Casino|
|Best US Casino Online|
|Play Red Dog Casino|
|Most Popular US Online Casino Site|
Poker is played using a standard 52 card deck. At the beginning of the casino game, each player is dealt a hand and then places bets.
The player with the highest-ranked hand wins. Be sure to use your poker bonuses to get the most out of the game. Many sites also offer poker tournaments that offer the opportunity to win real money.
There are many different variations of poker, in this guide, we will focus on the three main variations found at a casino online, which are, Texas hold’em, Omaha and Seven card stud.
ONLINE POKER VERSIONS
This version of online poker is probably the most popular version, as it is both simple and complex. This version is also played using a standard deck with 52 cards.
Players begin the round after being given two cards each by the dealer. These cards are placed face down and are known as ‘hole’ cards. The player that is on the left of the dealer is called the ‘small blind’.
This player must place a bet which is half of the bet limit, before other players have seen their cards. The player on the left of the small blind is called the ‘big blind’ and must also place a bet before the players have seen their cards. This bet must meet the bet limit.
In Omaha players are dealt four ‘hole’ cards each. Each player then places a bet and must either ‘check, fold, call or match’ the bets. This is followed by three community cards known as the ‘flop,’ and additional betting round. A fourth community card known as the ‘turn’ is then placed, which is followed by another betting round.
The last community card, known as the ‘river’ is dealt and the last round of betting takes place. In this version of online poker, players must use any two of their four cards and three of the community cards to make a hand. Once all the bets have been placed, players reveal their hand, which is known as the ‘showdown.’ The highest rank hand then wins.
SEVEN CARD STUD
At the beginning of the game, each player places a small wager called the ‘ante.’ They are then dealt two ‘hole’ cards, with one card facing up. This face-up card is known as ‘third street,’ and is available for all players to see.
The player that has the lowest-ranked ‘third street’ card must pay the ‘bring’ in,’ which is the smallest bet amount. The player sitting on the left-hand side of the player that paid the ‘bring in’ begins the next round of betting, and a fourth card known as ‘fourth street’ is dealt to each player. This card is also placed facing up so all players can see it.
Most variations of internet poker in the US are similar to the variants described above. These variations can be played using real money bets, you can also check out our top-ranked casinos which offer free play for you to practice and perfect your online poker game, before using real money.
If you feel like you are missing the action of the casino floor, most online casinos offer a live poker game that you can stream and play. The live game features a real dealer and even real players. Some other online poker variations include:
- Five card draw
- Omaha Hi-Lo
- Triple draw
- Irish poker
- Caribbean Stud
WHY PLAY POKER
- You can play anytime and anywhere against opponents all over the world.
- The game moves faster online than it would in land-based a casino which gives it an added edge of excitement.
- You can play the game without feeling intimidated by other poker players.
- There are more variations online so you can practice and find the best version for you.
- Poker is loved internationally, and learning how to play the game well will come in handy at any land-based casino.
- You do not have to wait to play poker as it is just a click away.
The following table shows how cards rank in online poker. These cards are then ranked from highest value to lowest, starting with the Ace and followed by the King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and are combined to form the strongest hand. The card ranks and combinations of online poker are as follows:
|0||Five of a Kind||10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of one suit|
|1||Straight Flush also known as a royal flush||Five cards in a sequence of value and same suit|
|2||Four of a Kind||Four cards of the identical value|
|3||Full House||One pair and one three of a kind.|
|4||Flush||Five cards, all beloning to the same suit.|
|5||Straight||Any five cards in a sequence of values|
|6||Three of a Kind||Three cards of the equal value|
|7||Two Pairs||Two sets of pairs|
|8||One Pair||Two cards of the identical value|
|9||No Pair also known as high card||If no other hand is held, the card of the highest value will lead your hand. Ace being the highest, 2 the lowest.|
Here are some general rules for playing online poker.
- At each betting round players can choose either to ‘check, fold, call or match’ the bets.
- The main aim of poker is for the player to create the best possible hand out of the cards they are given, and by using the community cards.
- All cards in the player’s hand are used to decide the victor.
- A player is allowed to call no matter how many chips they have in their stack.
- The highest-ranked hand always wins.
- Once you lose or fold you cannot get back the amount you bet.
ONLINE POKER TIPS AND STRATEGIES
- Memorize the rules and card ranks to make quicker decisions and improve your game.
- Play free poker to get used to the game before risking real money. Practice playing poker until you feel confident enough to play using real money.
- Make sure you are comfortable when you play so you can focus, and pick up on strategies other players use.
- Watch live poker games and tutorials so you can watch how the pros play. You may even pick up some good strategies you can use as well.
- Make sure that the software and hardware on your chosen device is good so that you do not struggle to see the screen or play the game.
- If you can choose your position, chose to play last. This allows you to make your decisions after everyone has played, and watch the other players, which will help you to pick up on, and predict their strategies.
- Make notes after each game of what plays worked, and what didn’t, to improve your game in the long run, and prevent you from making the same mistakes.
No. Most online poker sites are available on many iOS and Android devices. Always check on the online poker site to make sure it supports your chosen device. You can also try out different devices using the free play option before you choosing one to wager with real money.
Both an ante and a blind are forced bets players need to make to continue playing in that round. The only difference is that an ante is a required wagers for all poker players in the round, most commonly in seven card stud.
The blind bets are made by the players seated on the dealers left before players are allowed to see their hands. These two players are known as the small and big blind. After the small and big blind have placed their bets, the other players must raise or match the bet to continue playing in that round.
As of November 2013, online poker sites are legal in Nevada, New Jersey and Delaware. Other states that are in the process of obtaining legalization include; Washington, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
The one major difference most new online poker players realize is that the pace of playing online is significantly faster compared to live casinos. There are also fewer distractions, which make it easier to focus and make informed decisions, without feeling intimidated by other players.
LEARN HOW TO PLAY POKER