Table games is a term used to differentiate casino games that are played on a table, operated by a live dealer or croupier, from electronic games, such as slot machines or video poker. Table games are some of the oldest forms of gambling known to man and some more modern examples include Roulette, Blackjack, Craps, and Baccarat. Overtime, table games changed and evolved into the casino games we know and love today. American players are spoilt for choice today, with countless different table games available to play. These can be found at land-based casinos throughout the United States, or at online casinos in states where players are allowed to gamble online.
While slot games have arguably become more popular in recent years, table games remain a cornerstone of gambling in America. Join us at Casino US as we walk you through everything you need to know about table games, including their history, tips and tricks, and the different table games available to American players.
Top Table Game Casinos United States 2018
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
$350 MATCH BONUS
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Table Game, what does it mean?
If you’re very new to gambling, you may be unaware what the term table game means. If you’ve ever walked into a land-based casino in America, you would have likely noticed a large portion of the floor space was dedicated to games that were played on tables. In essence, this is exactly what a casino table game is.
The term table game describes any game that is played on a table in a land-based casino. When you take your gambling online, the term becomes a bit redundant, since there is obviously no table. However, the games will typically still replicate the table to try make the game feel like it does in a land-based casino.
The Types of Table Games
The great news for American players who are interested in Table games is that there is quite a selection that will appeal to various players. There are table games where a player’s skill plays a bigger role and then there are table games where luck is all that matters.
Below is a list of some of the biggest table games around.
- Sic Bo
The History of Table Games – Looking Back
Human beings have loved gambling since the beginning of recorded history, so writing an accurate history of table games is nearly impossible. Almost all of the major casino games out there have a history that is shrouded in mystery. Compiling all the information we know could probably fill up an entire website so we’ve decided to just give our American readers a brief history, highlighting the important moments in recent history.
The earliest table game
If you want to find the earliest record of a table game, you need to look back to Ancient Egypt. Many people out there are surprised to find this out, as they expect the earliest games to have come from China. Turn the clocks back to 3100BC and there was a very popular game in Egypt called Senet. It was played on a 3×10 grid and players needed to move their seven pieces off the board. One of the reasons we still know so much about this game is that it has endure to this day. Remarkably, Senet is still played by Egyptians to this day.
The game of Backgammon can trace its history back to the year 480D, to a Greek game known as Tabula. This game was also very popular in the Roman Empire. Chess was first recorded in 600AD, while playing cards seem to have been invented around 300 years later. One of the most popular table games of all time, Roulette, was invented by accident in 1796, with poker gaining traction in the 1830s.
The history of table games is a fascinating one, with hundreds of different games coming and going over the years. The games that have managed to stay in the public’s eye have become legends of the casino gaming world.
If you’d like to know more about the history of a particular table game, be sure to check out its page.
Live Table Games in America
For American players looking to get a more authentic table game experience, playing live table games should be just what the doctor ordered. Live casino games offer players something different and there are a few compelling reasons why you should give them a try.
Table games at online casinos have done their best to look like their real counterparts in land-based casinos. However, they work completely differently from those games, as they use a Random Number Generator to determine the results. Unfortunately, there are many players out there who still don’t trust Random Number generators and prefer to gamble using real casino equipment.
If this is what an American player is looking for, table games played at a live casino will provide a much more enjoyable experience. The dealers at a live dealer casino will use real equipment, just as they would at a land-based casino. If you play Roulette at a live casino, the croupier will use a real roulette wheel to determine the results, while card games will be played with actual cards, although the cards will typically be larger than regulation playing cards.
The Social Aspect
Playing casino games at American casino sites is a very solitary experience, which is perfectly fine most of the time. However, sometimes American players want to add a social aspect to their online gambling. This is where live casinos come in once again. Players will be able to talk to the dealer, and in some cases, even chat with other players. While it might not create the same atmosphere as a land-based casino, it certainly is a good compromise.
Table Games Tips and Tricks 2018
One of the best things about table games is that some of them allow a player’s skill to have a greater effect on the outcome. This means that learning how to play the game can be even more important. We’re not going to give you specific tips and tricks for table games here, you can find those on the individual game pages, but rather we’ll give you some tips that will help improve your casino experience as a whole.
- Set a spending limit – It is vitally important that players decide how much money they’re willing to spend before they start playing. Once you have decided, you have to stick to your budget and if you spend all of it, you need to walk away. The last thing players should do is chase their losses, as this inevitably leads to losing more money.
- Decide how long you’re going to play for – Like setting a monetary budget, players also need to set a time budget. Are you going to play for 30 minutes or an hour? Players who don’t set this ahead of time can find themselves playing for hours on end, which not only puts strain on their personal lives as well as their bank accounts.
- Stay away from drugs or alcohol – It is vitally important for players to keep a clear mind. If you become intoxicated, you’re more likely to make poor decisions and ignore previously set budgets. This can lead to crippling losses, so keep a cool head and you’ll be fine.
- Learn how to play – Almost all good online casinos will allow players to try out various games for free, including a wide range of table games. This is a huge advantage that players shouldn’t ignore, as it allows players to learn the game and develop new strategies, without losing any money.
- Make sure the casino is trustworthy – Finally, we cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure the online casino you’ve decided to play at is regulated and reputable. Players need to make sure the online casino is licensed by third party organizations, otherwise, the games could be rigged and winnings could never be paid out.
Table Games: The Legends
Table games are legends in the gambling world, so let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular table games around.
Roulette – The Wheel of Fortune
Roulette is one of the most popular table games in America, and indeed the entire world. It is one of the simplest table games you can play but it is also really exciting. Skill don’t really play a big role when playing Roulette, instead, players will have to rely on luck. The game is played by using a Roulette wheel, which contains 37 or 38 pockets. These pockets will be numbered 1-36, with the European version of the game having a single 0 pocket. American Roulette on the other hand has 38 pockets, as it includes a 00 slot. A ball is then placed into the spinning roulette wheel and players wager on where they think the ball will land.
Blackjack – Race to 21
Another extremely popular table game in the United States is Blackjack, also known as 21. Blackjack allows a player’s skill to have a greater impact on the outcome of the game. Blackjack is also fairly easy to understand for new players, which helps to make it very popular. The goal is quite simple, get the value of your hand to be as close to, or equal to, 21. Beware though, exceeding a value of 21 is known as a Bust and you’ll lose the round. Players will be dealt two cards and can then request additional cards if they feel it will get them closer to 21, without going over. Face cards are worth 10, normal cards are worth their number and Aces are worth 11 or 1.
Craps – Roll the Dice
If you’re looking for a casino game in America that is based solely on luck, Craps might be just the game for you. The game is played with a pair of dice, with players betting on the outcome of the roll. There are countless different bets that can be placed and the rules can be quite confusing for new players, but there’s nothing like the thrill of betting on the roll of the dice.
Baccarat – Bond’s Favourite
Baccarat gained popularity after it was revealed to be the favorite casino game of the fictional British super-spy, James Bond or 007. This table game is fairly similar to Blackjack, where the goal is to get a hand valued at a specific amount. However, in Baccarat the desired value is 9 and exceeding this value doesn’t immediately disqualify you from the round. On top of this, Baccarat is controlled by rules and once your cards are dealt, the rules will determine if you get another card or stay. When playing Blackjack the players can choose, but this is not the case in Baccarat. Finally, players are able to bet on which hand they think will win. If you desire, you can bet that the dealer’s hand will win, there is nothing forcing you to bet on your own hand.
Poker – get that Poker Face
Poker is a game that most people in America have encountered, whether they’re gamblers or not. This has always been a fun game to play at home with friends, but you can also take your experience to the casino, or the online casino, and win some real money. Players will be dealt five cards and they place bets based on how strong they believe their hand is compared to the other player’s hands. Alternatively, a player can have a really weak hand but bet big, hoping to bluff the other players.
Table Game Glossary
If you have hopes and dreams of becoming one of the best table game players in the United States of America, you’re going to need to be able to talk-the-talk. With so many different table games and terms for each of these games, it would be impossible to give you every single phrase you need. So instead we’ve chosen the terms we think are the most vital.
- Croupier – This is the term used for the “dealer” at the roulette table. Since Roulette doesn’t use any cards, the casino employee who runs the game is known as he croupier.
- House Edge – This phrase refers to the advantage a casino has over players. This does not mean the game is rigged, but rather a small advantage is built into the game so the casino can make money. The smaller this number is, the better the odds for the player.
- Hit – The term used by Blackjack players when they wish to request another card.
- Stay – The opposite of hit, when the player does not want another card and is happy with their hand’s value.
- Bust – If a Blackjack player hits and the new card pushes the value of his hand over 21. In this instance, the payer loses the round and forfeits their bet.
- Face Card – The name given to any card with a face on it, namely the King, Queen and Jack.
- Natural – The natural is the best possible hand in Blackjack. This means that the player’s hand equals 21 with just two cards. This term is also used in baccarat to describe a hand with a value of 8 or 9, also made up of just two cards
- Shooter – The player responsible for rolling the dice in Craps
- Banco – The Bank, or casino, in Baccarat
- Punto – The player in Baccarat
- Standoff – If there is a tie in Baccarat, it is known as a standoff.